Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Webster Crit and Good Bye StL


So the Webster Crit is one of my favorite races and with The Hub sponsoring there is alittle more incentive to show up in a big way. Fast forward to one lap to go in the 3/4 race, my legs felt great and because our guy for the race got crashed out I was ready to go for the glory. Unfortunately my day ended with a crash just after the first corner of the course. By the time I got off the grass and looked around bodies and bikes were laying all around. Some guys got hurt pretty bad and one required an ambulance. Fortunately I only have scrapes on my arms and knees. Until the today they were not bothering my but now they itch like crazy. At the time of the crash I had just called to Devin I was right behind him and then seconds later I was face planted in the grass. My frame was cracked as a result of the crash so that was pretty frustrating and my carbon wheels damaged. Scott has a really good frame replacement program so I will have a replacement at a good price. I have not said much about race but thats really it. I felt great but got crashed out period. Since my frame was cracked on the seat tube I got the nod to race on it once more. Pretty frustrated I wanted to finish the P/1/2/3 race. Only a field of about 45 lined up for it. I felt fine the entire the race only that one of my bottle cages was broken in the crash thus leaving me with only one bottle. This was factor at the end of the race because I was all out of water and hurting for fluids. Devin was riding pretty far up in the field so it took quite some time to muster up the energy to get to him to ask for some fluids. He hook me up but on the last lap my legs locked up going up the slight riser and I couldnt contest the field sprint. I rolled in for 20th place. Happy that I finished that race but still very disappointed at my tactics in the 3/4 race. I should have been more aggressive on last lap because the field bunched up at time of crash. Mental note to not hold back just for sprint and take a chance getting there.

So now that my Addict is cracked I needed a bike to take with me to Maryland. I recently sold an older CR1 I had and I'm using that money to purchase a Giant Rabobank Team Advanced frame/fork. All my SRAM Force is going on it and I'll have that shipped to me in Maryland. As for the Scott once my replacement frame is here I will have that built back up with a Force/Rival mix. Both bikes should look pretty wicked!

Leaving for Maryland Thursday. I found a race there next weekend I will do, so I'm pretty excited about that and its back to Stl for the weekend to do the Soulard crit.

Later

2 comments:

billh said...

We'll miss you Chris. Is this permanent or will you be back in St Louis after awhile?

Airmen said...

only short term, I'll be back living here in December, maybe sooner who knows!