Monday, May 19, 2008

Hell Bender race recap

Overall fun race, nice weather, flat and rolling course with one big wall to go up. Field of about 40 lined up for the race. Everyone was together until we hit the wall, and those that could make it up and keep it moving were all apart of a group of about 20. Not sure how close if at all the group that was chasing came to catching to the lead group of which I was in. After the wall the fellows at the front really dropped the hammer. I looked down and at times we were cruising at 30mph. This group again stayed together until the 2nd time up the wall. Here the group of 20 was shattered into bits. I hung on to the first group very briefly only to have my legs seize up, muscles just got really tight like a 'charlie horse' in both my legs. That was it for me, I could only watch the group ride away from me and others pass me by. I rode solo for the last 13 miles to a finishing place of 13th. I thought i would get caught from behind because I wasn't setting a blistering pace just cruising along. I wish had my SPecialized for this race, I just haven't felt at home on the Scott bike I keep in St. Louis. Next race is a criterium a week from today in Long Beach, CA.

No comments: